Monday, February 3, 2014

waiting room...


The energy in the waiting room I am in right now is toxic. Everyone is pissed. One after another march to the check in desk to see how much longer they have to wait to be seen. The doctor is running behind schedule.

I recently read a blog post written by a doctor on what causes long waits for patients in their offices and I really want to elaborate on it today being that I am one of those patients who has now waited approximately an hour to be seen today.

Not too long ago I was a patient in the hospital...for about a week, laboring and awaiting the arrival of my little girl. My doctor's office happened to be in the same building and she was able to easily check on me. She didn't have to but she checked on me three times a day for five days. She kept us informed, offered support and encouragement, and spent time performing procedures to move things along and keep me and the baby safe. I couldn't have done what I did without her and I will be forever grateful.

So I think to myself as I sit in here in the waiting room that if she was with someone like me, someone who needed her support in a tough situation this morning and that is why she's now behind schedule I understand and will gladly practice patience. I cannot get upset with someone who is helping another, perhaps saving a life! 

Next time you have a wait at the doctor's office remember that they are not intentionally putting you off. They may be in surgery saving a life, or helping a sick child, or telling someone they have cancer. If it were you in that situation wouldn't you want them to spend time with you too?




No comments:

Post a Comment