Saturday, February 1, 2014

eat something green...



One of my 2014 goals is to eat something green every day and I'm happy to report I just completed the first 31 days!

My definition of "green" is a vegetable that's green. Green juice totally counts because that's about the only way I can ingest kale. On day 16, I counted green grapes because I was super sick with food poisoning and the thought of throwing up grapes was better than spinach. I kept nothing down that day.

I'm learning a few things about myself on this journey...

First, I don't have to hate vegetables. I can learn to love and incorporate them into my everyday. I want my daughter to be open minded to all different foods and if I hate veggies she may think she does too. 

Secondly, I have had to branch out and get creative with my meals. I'm certainly out food shopping more frequently and getting picky with my produce (you should too!) I've been reading Food Matters by Mark Bittman and it's opening my eyes to how often I over consume the wrong foods (along with the rest of the country.) I want to shift my diet back to being more plant based. Between getting pregnant, having the baby, and now nursing I've made the choice to eat what I wanted and that's fine but I'm ready to get back on track and make smarter choices.

I don't think I ever imagined eating a clover leaf or melted leeks. Not half bad! I wonder what else I can discover to be edible this year.

None of this work is going to be overnight for me and I'm cool with that. I love the concept of eating something green everyday as a way to ease back in.

I'll keep you updated on my progress. I'd love for you to join me for a month or two, or the rest of the year! And please, share the love... If you have fun ways of eating greens let me know! 

No comments:

Post a Comment