Wednesday, February 15, 2012

attitude check...

Is your attitude getting in the way of you being able to see all the good that surrounds you? Do you avoid making eye contact with fellow joggers at the park? Have you ever told how the clerk who rings you up at the store how much you appreciate them or ask them how their day is going?
Meet Carl. He has no idea I’m about to blog about him or how he has helped me recognize just how good people can be. Carl walked into our store two years ago unsolicited and just looking to tell someone about what he was up too. An employee brought me a brochure and business card and said someone was at the store to see me. I was working on a project in the back office and normally would have just taken the collateral to look over at a later time. However, something inside me made me want to meet this mystery person. After all, I would hope someone would do the same for me. Carl has one of those smiles no one can forget. It’s genuine and authentic. His beaming personality instantly drew me in and I was fully enrolled in what he was saying.
Expedition Balance is a non-profit organization that is dedicated to bringing coping strategies such as yoga and wellness to veterans who suffer from PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder.) Carl founded Expedition Balance, and it’s an organization that appears to me as having been born out of the love and passion for people helping people.
Had I not let down my guard and been open to meeting a new person that day, I wouldn’t have met Carl. I now see Carl at all the happening yoga events around Houston and he visits our store often. This past weekend I saw Carl walking from his house to the grocery store to do his shopping on the most beautiful day, reusable totes in tow. Carl and Expedition Balance, have inspired to me help others and lead by example. I’m excited to share that we’ll be working together on a project for later this year… stay tuned for details! It's going to be awesome!
Every person that you meet in your life is there to teach you something. We are surrounded by millions of people day in and day out. Of course you can’t stop and get to know every single one of them, but you can acknowledge them with a smile, let that other car take the good parking space, or buy a coffee for the person standing behind you in line at Starbucks. Be a GREAT person in this world. It can and will spread. It starts with you being open to seeing the good in everyone and in every situation. Since meeting Carl, I’ve declared to myself to give ALL people a chance. I love meeting new faces in both new and old places. Hearing stories and sharing goals with strangers has now become a passion. Try it out and let me know how it goes J

No comments:

Post a Comment