Saturday, February 18, 2012

girl scout cookies...

I've had three boxes of these devilish treats sitting on my kitchen table for a full 24 hours now.  They should go in the pantry with the rest of the food but for some reason I'm finding twisted pleasure in leaving them right where they are. 

In my previous experience with this,  Ive learned that the cookies always win. No matter how hard I try to just eat one, I usually end up eating an entire sleeve of them. By the end of my 5 day cookie bender, I usually weigh an extra 5lbs and the guilt and shame don't help with the sugar withdrawal that follows.

Where I am now is that I've realized that if I want to loose 50lbs this year I cannot put that cookie in my body. Are eating cookies bad? No. Am I going to have a cookie this year? Probably. But right now, as I'm learning self control I'm not allowing myself to indulge... and the feeling is beyond exciting for me.  I've taken sort of an anorexics approach to eating ( I'm in no way insinuating that anorexia is a good thing!) I'm finding pleasure in only eating smaller portions of food. The high I get from NOT over eating is much more satisfying that shoveling shit food into my body. Who would have thought?

Anyway, I think what the Girl Scouts of the USA does is incredible. They instill a sense of entrepreneurship and pride into young girls and that IS changing the world. I'll always order because I believe in the organization.  But will I eat an entire box to celebrate that? No. I've left that in the past. 

So next time you're asked to buy cookies, instead of cursing them out in your head because you're too afraid you wont be able to exercise self control, remember what the organization is really up to. Is not about trying to make people fat with their product, it's about teaching young girls courage and self esteem. 

Quick gripe: Why are Samoas, not called Samoas in Texas? I have gone to order girl scout cookies for 3 years now and I damn near have a heart attack thinking they did away with them. They refer to them as Carmel deLites (Nothing is lite about them!!!)  I'm not a fan. I'm calling them Samoas for life.

No comments:

Post a Comment