Sunday, February 12, 2012

my first words on this beautiufl sunday morning...

Were “OMG BRETT I AM SO EXCITED TO WEIGH MYSELF”
I can’t believe it either. It’s been one week since I would say I’ve “gotten myself together” when it comes to food. I’ve recognized a problem, made it known to the people in my world, and started slowing down to think about what I’m putting in my body.
Tools for success this week:
1.) Eat to Live by Joel Fuhrman
2.) The 17 Day Diet by Dr. Mike Moreno
3.) Asking the question “Will this food help me achieve my goals?”
4.) A wake up call that my goals are not BIG enough
                Monday morning, I drove to my local Whole Foods where I had planned to pick up an electrolyte enhanced water (a MUST have for runners), and a locally made Kickin’ Kombucha to sip on (Everyday Hibiscus is where it’s at, y’all! http://kickinkombucha.com) Sitting next to the drink section my eye caught a glimpse of Joel Fuhrman’s book Eat to Live. Because my last blog was roughly written around this idea I picked it up (not minding that I’m on a tight budget these days.) This book isn’t a “diet book” that holds empty promises of weight loss. It’s a tool for education on how we as a society are eating and unconsciously shortening our lives. The bottom line is to fill your diet with nutrient rich foods and you’ll live long, healthy and happy lives. Raw is always better! (Insert “that’s what she said joke.) The concept is so simple and easy that a snail could understand it.

I found myself spouting little zingers of information to random people all week. Zingers include:
*Over 90% of the calories consumed by Americans come from refined foods or animal products causing our society to become incredibly nutrient deficient
 *Most weight-guideline charts still place the public at risk by reinforcing an unhealthy weight standard- most of us CAN weigh up to 10lbs less than what some of these charts tell us
*If you pinch the skin by your belly button it shouldn’t be more than 1in for women and ½in for men. Anything over that will put you at risk for certain types of disease (heart disease, high blood pressure and my current nightmare… diabetes!)

The second book that influenced me this week was Dr. Mike Moreno’s “The 17 Day Diet.” This one has got me eating on a regular schedule and focusing on lean proteins like turkey, egg whites, and plenty of raw veggies. I eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner and allow myself 2 snacks in between meals. This book is less about a “17 day plan” and more about a lifestyle change. Its worth picking up if you have extra pounds to shed. It’s a quick read and offers a LOT of support in terms of what to eat, how to shop for it, and some yummy recipes as well.

Slowing down and asking myself “will this food help me achieve my goals?” has been pivotal in my change this week. I even talked skinny people out of eating cupcakes this week! I encountered several offers to get drinks after work and politely declined because I knew those empty calories would benefit me in no way (other than to keep me warmer with a little beer buzz blanket during this chilly week in Houston!) I found it EASY to say no to food- a first for me for sure!
I was satisfied with my goal of loosing 40lbs, UNTIL Thursday, when I realized that if I want MORE I have to put it out there. That being said my goal is now to lose 50lbs. It sounds WAY SCARY (more so that 40lbs!) but hey, let me put that out into the universe and get my tail into gear! No time to waste here. Every food choice I make matters! Do you smell that? It’s skinny creeping in!

What are you putting into your body? Ask yourself that this week J Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment