Thursday, June 12, 2014

in ten years...

I'm at home with Marley. School's been cancelled. Its a snow day! The fire crackles and warms our big stone home. The reflection of the pretty white snow fills the room with white light. We are sitting in the kitchen getting a head start on one of her school projects. At the edge of the counter sits a fat stack of my new book that I've been signing in preparation for my book reading later this week in the city. The teapot whistles to let us know the water is ready. On snow days we have hot cocoa. The phone rings and it's my husband calling to check in on his girls. He tells me he loves me and can't wait to see me when he gets home.

This is my ten year vision. For almost five years I've been an official goal setter (meaning I write them down) and writing the vision has always been a powerful part of the process. It's not always the same but it continues to have a few common themes. Marley, for example, has always played a role and now she's actually here. Oh, it wasn't easy for me to imagine her at ten years old...

Writing a vision creates a roadmap for your future. To get to my ten year vision I know that we need to move to a colder climate and I need to write a book. There is a lot that goes into both of those goals but there are some pretty obvious goals I can set from each of those facts. Example: Choose a genre --> write a rough draft -->edit --> publish that sh*t. Ya, dig?

Take a beat, find a quiet place, and imagine your life ten years from today. Where are you? What do you look like? Who are you with? Dive into the details. Write it all down and package it up into something that makes you smile. Share it with people who support you. You'll be amazed at what you will achieve for yourself.

Fun idea... start a pin board for your ten year vision! Here are a few images from mine :)

No comments:

Post a Comment