Tuesday, March 25, 2014

risk...


If you don’t risk anything, you risk more
-Erica Jong

Are you a risk taker?

Risk is a small word with a big feel. We take risks everyday. Driving a car poses a risk, does it not? We put ourselves in danger of getting into an accident every time we get behind the wheel but we still drive.

This got me thinking. What risks have I taken? And what was at stake? I moved to Houston without a job and at risk was my financial stability. When I ran a marathon without proper training I was risking possible injury. I went snorkeling in the ocean and risked getting eaten by a shark.

While none of those are necessarily “crazy” scenarios I have reaped mega benefits from each. I only found an incredible career because I moved cities without a job. I scored a massive personal best on my fifth marathon because my body was rested and ready to rock it out. I gained bragging rights for swimming with a shark (and experiencing some of the worlds’ most beautiful scenery) because I jumped off a boat with a snorkel.

No risk, no reward. If we live our lives standing still we won’t experience all that it has to offer. You’ve heard the saying, “risk nothing, and lose nothing.” But what’s also true is that if you risk nothing, you gain nothing.

What risks are you willing to take in order to live your best lives?




No comments:

Post a Comment