Wednesday, February 19, 2014

feeling fully charged...

Imagine for a minute that we all have an electric charge inside of us. Let's call it a "love charge." When our charge is full we're happy, positive, and feel on top of the world. When our charge is low or border line on empty we complain, feel helpless, have a hard time getting out of bed, and maybe on occasion cry in front of a mirror... you know you've done it.



How do we stay fully charged? Can we? I believe I have the power to control my emotions 98% of the time while the other 2% I blame on my crazy family's genetics. Here are a few things I bring myself back to when I'm running on empty...

awareness
First and foremost, you have to have to know when you are on the brink of a breakdown in order for you to snap yourself out of it. When you're having a really great day acknowledge and appreciate it to the fullest. When you're feeling down or "blah," acknowledge that too! Its OK. Just because you're feeling a little depressed doesn't mean you are depressed. It's just where you are today.

power of choice
You are in control of which side of the bed you get out of every morning. You can choose your next move. Choose happiness. Choose to make the best of any situation. This is the most difficult thing to master and is so much easier said than done.

surround yourself with the right people
You've heard it before. If you want positivity in your life hang out with positive people. You want the people closest to you to support you and your goals. We all have that friend or family member who always seems to bring the "womp-womp," but when your not your best self you don't need their belly aching weighing you down.

do something nice for yourself
Yoga. A long walk. A cupcake. A bubble bath. Whatever it is that makes you feel special do it and don't feel bad about it. If you did this all the time I promise you'd be happier in all aspects of your life. It is so, so, so important to take care of yourself.

While we can't always expect to be happy and cheerful there is a certain self confidence that comes from knowing you have the power to choose the way you react to situations. Next time you find yourself a little below the line check yourself: are you hanging with people who make you feel good? Have you taken time for yourself recently? Are you choosing to make a situation more dramatic than it really is?

I give myself a day to sulk and cry when I want to. Any more time than that and I've realized I'm just wasting time. Precious time.

Don't let your battery die, people.  

1 comment: