Saturday, February 8, 2014

easy peasy ways to incorporate greens [part one]...

I'm 39 days into my 365 day challenge. I like posting about it on Saturdays to keep me in check over the weekends. You cool with that? Great. I will share what I've been eating and any successes or challenges I've run into over the past week.

As I sit here with my juiced greens (kale, spinach, celery) I have to say I think I relied to heavily on juices this week. It's kind of an easy out but then again I am still getting my greens in, right? AND good news is I have another 326 days to get inventive in the kitchen.

It isn't too difficult to incorporate greens into simple things like eggs, rice, or pasta sauce. This week I tossed a green pepper and zucchini into a jar of Ragu and voila! An extra serving of vegetables. You can pile that up on top of pasta or spaghetti squash.




Strawberry Banana Smoothie
-8 oz coconut water
-1.5 frozen bananas
-5 juicy strawberries with stems
That's right! You can eat your strawberry tops! They count as greens in my book so blend it up, baby! 

Eggs Scrambled
-3 egg whites + 1 yolk
-1/2 cup mushrooms 
-1/2 cup chopped green pepper
-1/4 cup white onion
-1/4 avocado if you'd like 
-jalapeño (as much as you can handle!)
-salsa on the side 
Don't worry about measuring... Use as much or as little of each. Heck, just throw any green veggie in and scramble!

Spinach Smoothie
-8 oz almond milk
-1 frozen banana 
-1-2 cups of spinach leafs 
-1 tbs of nut butter (your fave!)
-Chia seeds for good measure (optional)
Blend (I love my Vitamix!!!) and enjoy!

Butternut Squash and Spinach (inspired by a side I got at Whole Foods)
-Diced butternut squash (how to peel and cut a butternut squash)
-Spinach
-Dried cranberries
Saute squash before adding spinach and cranberries.

How am I tracking what I'm eating? I keep a note in my notes app on my phone and keep up with it daily. I won't post this every week but it's kinda fun to look at from time to time. I think I'll start taking more notes on how I'm feeling like I did on January 18th...


365 of Green
1.1: iceberg, green beans, one kale chip
1.2: spinach salad
1.3: asparagus (Marley was not OK with this)
1.4: green peppers
1.5: pear, kale, celery, spinach juice
1.6: kale chips, kale and pecan pesto, spinach salad
1.7: spinach smoothie, zucchini
1.8: spinach smoothie
1.9: spinach smoothie, kale chips
1.10: spinach smoothie
1.11: romaine lettuce
1.12: oh kale yeah juice
1.13: spinach smoothie
1.14: summer salad, juice with mint, spinach, dandelion greens, & celery, spinach salad
1.15: arugula, leeks
1.16: green grapes... FOOD POISIONING
1.17: jalepenos...in salsa... (still getting over sick. good enough excuse?)
1.18: spinach smoothie, kale chips >>>>>I hate kale<<<<<
1.19: one spinach leaf, grapes
1.20: spinach smoothie
1.21: spinach
1.22: spinach, green pepper, jalapeño, basil
1.23: kale, celery, basil
1.24: kale, celery
1.25: kale, collard greens, cucumber, chlorella, spirulina, spinach, basil
1.26:kale, collard greens, cucumber, chlorella, spirulina, spinach
1.27: celery, cucumber, spinach, romaine, kale, parsley, wheat grass, clover sprouts, green pepper, jalapeño
1.28: celery, cucumber, spinach, romaine, kale, parsley, wheat grass, clover sprouts, peas
1.29: cucumber, celery, kale, zucchini
1.30: cucumber, celery, kale
1.31: celery, cucumber, spinach, romaine, kale, parsley, wheat grass, clover sprouts

2.1: celery, cucumber, spinach, romaine, kale, parsley, wheat grass, clover sprouts
2.2: strawberry greens, green pepper, jalapeño
2.3:  kale, collard greens, cucumber, chlorella, spirulina, green peas
2.4:kale, collard greens, cucumber, chlorella, spirulina, green peppers, green onion
2.5: kale, spinach, celery
2.6: green pepper, zucchini, kale, spinach, celery, avacado
2.7: green pepper, romaine
2.8: kale, spinach, celery

Until next week!
s

No comments:

Post a Comment