Monday, November 18, 2013

the greatest finish line ever...


When I wrote my last blog post I had just been in the hospital for monitoring after a little fender bender we were in the day before. I genuinely thought I would be discharged from the hospital that afternoon and we would meet baby in a week or so. I had it all wrong.

During the 24 hour monitoring period baby had a little dip in her heart rate sizable enough for my doctor to advise that we induce labor that night. There were a few other things working against us and we we're almost 39 weeks so it was safe for baby to arrive. However, this was not my ideal birth plan. Medical induction was probably one of the things I was trying most to avoid. So I breakdown in tears...

Once I stopped crying, my husband and I stood in shock when we realized we were not leaving the hospital without a baby. That was exciting! I forgot for a moment that my "plan" wasn't going to go the way I had imagined. OK, this is real. (Because no matter how many times you thought it was real before it wasn't.)


(after we got the news we wouldn't leave the hospital without a baby)

So I had a choice... I could keep crying or I could GO FOR IT and give it all I had. I will spare the majority of details of our 6 night hospital stay but it was 54 hours from start of induction to the time our baby arrived. It was filled with ups and downs. We heard good news and bad news. We had moments when we felt like we didn't know what was going on. 

(proof that the Universe was looking out for us)

I had a moment near the end where I wasn't sure I'd live to meet my baby... after 54 hours I was too physically and mentally exhausted to fight that nasty thought. When it was over I barely knew where I was or what had happened. Looking at my little girl made it all worth it. I have never done anything as challenging as what I did that week. I had to completely throw away all of my plans and adapt to what was needed in the moment. I had to give in to what was in the best interest of baby and myself. The reward was epic. 

It was a true marathon... the greatest marathon finish line I'll ever cross.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats Sam and Brett! Glad everything worked out, even if it wasn't quite as planned :) I'd love to meet her if you guys come into town and are in the neighborhood sometime!

    ReplyDelete