Sunday, March 11, 2012

how to eat an elephant...taking bite sized pieces while tackling a weight loss...


I achieved my goal weight for the Woodlands Marathon and since finishing I haven’t seen the number on the scale decrease. Shedding 12lbs was awesome! My problem has been that I’ve been celebrating that small goal for 7 days now:
Saturday: After the marathon I drank 4 beers and ate a giant salted pretzel
Sunday: My husband and I ordered a pizza
Monday: I ate clean… I think.
Tuesday: I ate clean.
Wednesday: I was offered a cake pop at Starbucks that I couldn’t resist
Thursday: We went out for a happy hour where I indulged in a plate full of sweet potato fries and I drank 3 beers
Friday: We ate Mexican and I just had to put queso on everything.
Last night: I had fries with my grilled chicken sandwich
Today: About an hour ago I downed a bag of jelly beans
Thank heavens it’s not too late! I’ve caught myself in my act. I haven’t regained the weight but if I keep on the way this week has gone it shouldn’t take long to undo my hard work.
We all set out to achieve goals. Sometimes though, we stop when we reach a benchmark and settle for the small victory and magically forget about the big picture. For me, I think I’ve been living in fear this past week of not being able to achieve my 50lbs weight loss goal… self sabotage. Can you think of a time when you’ve sabotaged yourself? Why do we want to keep ourselves from achieving our highest potential?
I’m here to let you know (and take my own advise) that we can’t eat an elephant all at once. My elephant is losing 50lbs. What’s yours? Be patient and kind to yourself on your journey and celebrate the small victories but not for too long. Keep the end result in mind at all times. For me, rewarding with food probably isn’t the best idea. Hmmm… a new pair of Toms, replacing my lost Ray Bans, or allowing myself to buy something new from lululemon could work!
Point of the post… Don’t give up! Set mini goals but stick to your game plan! Rome wasn’t built in a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment