Friday, March 16, 2012

building confidence...

I have a friend named Stacey. She is RADICAL. Nothing about her is ordinary. She started doing something a while back that I HAVE to share. She would wear red lipstick whenever she wanted to bring out her sassy side. I view her act of self expression as a way to exude confidence. Confidence… something I WANT!

So this past Monday I went out for a jog on the TC Jester bike path. It was HOT. Texas is heating up…as usual. I was wearing shorts and a tee shirt and felt unusually hot. Too bad I’m not in good enough shape to shed my shirt! ::insert laughter:: Uh-oh. I just told myself I couldn’t do something because I’m not good enough. This is one of my trigger phrases. Whenever I hear it I absolutely want to DO it to prove a point. Shit… I have to take my shirt off in public.

It was around mile 2 and I still hadn’t taken it off. The voices in my head we’re pulling me in both directions. Do it, don’t do it, do it, don’t do it. Finally, I hit my breaking point and I stopped and ripped my shirt off, Incredible Hulk style! I ran .4 miles in just shorts and a sports bra. The feeling of wind on my sweaty skin was freeing. Confidence was creeping in. I let a cyclist pass me... That was enough for the day. I put my shirt back on and ran home. What sounds like a tiny step was actually BIG for me.

This little exercise reinforced my weight loss goal and gave me the confidence I needed to stay on track. 

What could you do for yourself that would push you out of your comfort zone? The results could be surprising. You will realize you probably won’t die if you do it (Yes, I feared death if I took my shirt off in public)

New goal: I run a full 3 mile loop at memorial park in shorts and a sports bra by August 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment