Saturday, February 4, 2012

i'm a gormand. a-gour-what?

Humans can survive for up to 3 weeks without food. We’ve all heard that before. Can you actually imagine not eating for 3 weeks? Imagine how you would feel? Empty, fatigued, probably pissed off and close to cutting your arm off with a dull pocket knife, right?
Exciting news! I just discovered a new word: gourmand. A gourmand is best used to describe someone who is deeply interested in eating and synonymous with gluttony. Great, so now I’m a sinner. Samantha Ann Halkias Gourmand Bivenour. That’s me!  (and yes, I have a very long name)
So what am I doing about it? I have been blown away by the comments of last week’s blog. I’ve had friends and family come and say how inspired they are and offering their words of encouragement. I’ve had people open themselves up, sharing their stories, and thanking me for being bold. I’ve had friends apologize that they never spoke up and offer help when they could see the toll that my weight gain was taking on me. It’s exciting, inspiring and scary at the same time. There is no turning back for me now. I don’t want to let readers down, I don’t want to let my friends and family down, and most importantly I don’t want to let myself down! I started writing this blog because I’ve chosen to take personal responsibility for the choices I’ve made in regards to food.
This week, with the help of my husband Brett, I’ve been critically thinking about my food choices and asking myself, “Can I eat just enough to support me until my next meal?” The answer to this question is a no brainer. Especially when you realize that humans don’t need a 750 calorie meal 3 times a day to survive. (Let’s get real, I’m positive my meals have been packed with WAY more calories than that!) Please don’t confuse what I’m saying with “being healthy.” Of course to be healthy we need to be eating a variety of foods to gain the right nutritional benefits for our bodies.  BUT for where I am right now, and the weight loss goals I have, I need to consider (in a BIG way) cutting back and experimenting with eating for sustenance and not pleasure for a while.
Sionara, gourmand. Hello skinny, bitch!

1 comment:

  1. I also think it's helpful to think remind yourself that you don't have to think of a meal as the last time you'll eat for hours and stuff yourself. If you're hungry in two hours, eat.

    ReplyDelete