Monday, August 11, 2014

hey, want to be my friend?

Do you remember meeting your first friend?

No, not your cousin, or someone your parents introduced you to on a play date. Like the actual first person you met and befriended on your own. I remember mine. Her name was Bethany and we met in the bathroom on our first day of kindergarten. I'm positive she would remember that day as well as I do. Our school was built in the early 1950s so it smelled a little old but it was charming. The bathroom had red brick walls, the shortest stall doors imaginable, and smaller than average toilets [so we didn't fall in.] I believe it was fate that brought us there at the same time and the deicison to become friends was as simple as asking, "hey, want to be my friend?"

This has me thinking...

Can meeting new people still be as simple as it once was? As adults, how much are we missing out on by not being open to meeting new people, or trying new things? Can we put a little FOMO (fear of missing out) back into our lives like we had when we were kids? Can we just say "YES" even if we're a little unsure of ourselves or potential outcomes? What are we afraid of? Or are just OK with what we have in our lives and don't feel like we need more?

That sounds terribly boring...

I challenge you to be a go-getter. Be adventerous. Be social. Be brave enough to at least try. Say yes to someone or something this week. It doesn't have to be complicated and doing so could create memories that last a lifetime.

Bethany and I circa 1994... And yes, those are water ballons in our suits. What 8 year old girl didn't do that?!

Bethany and I at our high school graduation in 2004. 



1 comment: