Thursday, January 2, 2014

kindness...

I spent two and a half hours on hold with United Airlines today.

When we booked our travel a few weeks ago we didn't really think about how difficult it may be to arrive home around midnight and not throw off our baby's nightly routine. Nor did we think about the poor friend who would have to come pick us up at the late hour. So today, two days prior to our departure from our extended stay here in snowy Ohio we decided to see about changing our flight. #lastmintueisourthingnow

It didn't seem like it would be possible to get on an earlier flight without paying an arm and a leg (even with miles.) We got the run around from the first guy and had to hang up and call back.

Another hour on hold...

I understand why people get frustrated waiting on hold. During the time we spent on hold my husband and I were able to drink two cups of coffee, shower, and I fed the baby twice. What people forget sometimes is that the person on the other end didn't intentionally put off speaking with you for an hour. It's not a crime against you. That person is not an asshole (well...sometimes maybe!) That person is just like you or me and they are just doing their job.

So I was extremely polite to the woman I was speaking with even though things still were not looking good. She spent thirty minutes with me trying every single possible way for us to get on an earlier flight. I was willing to pay change fees and whatever it took to get us home at a normal time and on a direct flight. Then... all of the sudden she said, "Samantha, I've got it all taken care of. Have a happy new year!"

What? That's it? I owed nothing. I asked if there was a manager I could speak to so that I could compliment her for my pleasent experience. She said it wasn't necessary. I really feel she deserves an award or a raise... or a cupcake!

Great guest experience isn't always easy to come by (especially with airlines.) So today I want to acknowledged her and express my gratidtude for her help. Whoever and wherever you are... THANK YOU! Enjoy this cupcake from me.

hope you like Sprinkles!

Let this serve as a reminder that when we work together anything is possible. When you find yourself getting worked up over anything take a deep breath, be patient, and be KIND.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment