Monday, October 7, 2013

how i killed my herb garden... twice

I refer to myself as a hands on learner. I don't read manuals or directions. I'm all for diving head first into the unknown and learning how to navigate the waters. But when is it wise to do a little research before you begin something new?

We bought our house a little over two years ago. We LOVE it. We have a perfect little backyard big enough for our sweet little schnoodle and entertaining a few friends.

I've always wanted a garden that I could pick fresh herbs and veggies from. Our backyard isn't quite big enough for a full on garden so I had the idea to create a hanging one.

Here is how it turned out...
AWESOME, RIGHT?!

It lasted about two months. I blamed the hot Houston weather for their death. I shook it off. I was still proud of my pinteresty efforts.

This past spring, I thought I'd give it another go and replant. New year, new crop! The weather here is very, very hot so I'd rush home from work every day hoping that my garden didn't die in the 6-8 hours I was away. I watered everyday and coordinated with the neighbors when we we're not going to be in town. 

This time they lasted a month and a half. 

Really? OK, I give up. This isn't going to work. What is wrong with me? Why can't I grow basic herbs? 

Then last week my husband sent me an e-mail with a link to a blog about the top ten mistakes new herb gardeners make. It wasn't until this e-mail (two years later) that I recognize that I know nothing about growing herbs or maintaining a garden. #duh #superduh 

(this is my light bulb moment)

What I've learned is that sometimes, if you want to be successful with something, you may want to do your homework. I let my "do it now" mentality get the best of me as I rushed to Home Depot to pick up pots, soil, and herbs. I didn't stop to ask myself important questions like, "what month of the year is the best for planting herbs in Texas?" or "is this an indoor or outdoor plant I am buying?" I just did it... and it didn't work.  
I didn't go out and buy my car without doing research. We didn't buy our baby's crib without reading reviews. So why did I think I could grow a sustainable herb garden? Knowing nothing other than I needed a pot and some seeds.

OK... now I know what needs to happen next year. I need to do some research! I accept that I am not an expert in all areas. I choose to be a student always. I ask questions when I need answers. I slow down when I start a new project.  

If you are interested in herb gardening you and want to avoid rookie mistakes like mine you can check out the article I mentioned earlier here.

For inspiration or ideas on setting up a garden in a small space click here. I also recommend spending countless hours oo'ing and ahh'ing over pins like these on pinterest. 

Now go get up to something new! Google is your BFF for information if you have no idea where to begin! #shouldawouldacoulda
-s

No comments:

Post a Comment