Monday, August 6, 2012

reminder... you're awesome...


How many times have you told yourself you can’t do something?

I’m a living, breathing example that you really can do anything. I’ve told you before that three years ago I couldn’t run a mile and now I run marathons. You would think I would have no trouble at all when it comes to taking on a new challenge head first but today was test for me.

I love this new box I’ve been going to, All Day CrossFit. It’s on my street, about a half a mile up, I walk or jog there every time. I’ve been going twice a week for about 3 or 4 weeks now. I’ve met some really dope new people and I’ve never felt intimidated. They have such a welcoming atmosphere. #shoutout 

I made the mistake of looking to see what the WOD was for today. Typically, I like to just show up and GO!  Today’s Facebook post said “Barabara” and that was all it. Frantically, I started googling/binging/yahooing/ sweating and found out just what kind of crazy b*tch I’d be facing come the 4:30pm.

Barbara = 20 Pull ups, 30 push -ups, 40 sit ups, 50 squats x 5 rounds.

Pull ups are my arch-nemesis. The last time I attempted pulls up (probably 5 months ago) I felt bad about myself for days. I wasn’t able to even get one assisted pull up. I struggled through the entire WOD while others raced on ahead of me. I cried all the way home in my car listening to Adele. #enoughwhining

So, I’m sitting at my computer contemplating “Barabra.” I throw on my run crops and lace up my shoes (as I often do when I get nervous) and headed out to the park for a 3 mile run. I’m pretty sure my thought process was, “well, if I chicken out of CrossFit at least I got my sweat on today.”

My run felt great. I got home and sat at my desk nervously tapping my fingers. Can I do this? Should I do it? I can’t do a pull up. I can’t even do an assisted pull up. I am so bad at this. I’ll embarrass myself. I shouldn’t go. I can’t go!

Whenever this happens to me I know what I have to do. I MUST GO. If I’m frightened by it I know I have to do it, or at least try it, right? I was just wasting my time with all the “should I go?” nonsense.

I arrive. Thankfully, for me it’s a small class, only 3 of us for this early bird special. Nerves kick in. Here we go:
Pull ups: To my SHOCK I was able to do the assisted pull ups today! and without ripping open my palms to boot! I’m betting my 50 day yoga challenge has something to do with this. #chaturangamakeyoustronga
Push Ups: hard as hell, and I mean HELL. Did I mention I scaled back and was doing them on my knees? (see pics for knee scrape) By the 3rd round my arms were shaking and I could barely push up. On round 5 I actually collapsed once. Oops.
Sit ups: my favorite part of the WOD by far as I got to lay down a couple of times to catch my breath.
Squats: I was caught off guard by these puppies. Underestimated how much those can burn!

I finished in 44 minutes and 48 seconds. Probably the longest WOD I’ve ever done but right now I’m calling it my most rewarding WOD. I’m so excited that came straight to the computer to blog rather than showering off. I’ve got particles of black rubber from the mats on my back and legs, visible dried salt on my arms, and my hair is soaking wet.  My husband took one look at me when he got home and said, “Do you know what you look like right now?”

I’m sitting here all lit up by the fact that today I did something I didn’t think I could do and it’s just 
some random Monday in August.

I think we all just need little reminders of this from time to time. My challenge to you is to never let fear stop you from doing something. 

2 comments:

  1. needed to read this Sam as I am sitting in a dark library studying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoo hoo! Go Sam! Awesome for you. So many times I sit there freaking out about bootcamp or body pump and then I get there and wonder what all the fuss was about. Nice work girl!

    ReplyDelete