Monday, June 4, 2012

goals on crack...


Recently,  I had the pleasure of attending a meet up led by one of the most influential leaders within lululemon athletica right now. The topic was goals. There we’re probably 40 or 50 of us sitting on the floor with healthy snacks and plenty of water. Mostly employees but also some of our most loved community members.

We started off by getting grounded in what we wanted to get out of the night. People said things like, “I want to write goals for myself and not my husband… I want goals that inspire me. I want to know how to take action on the goals I’ve set.”

If you don’t know what your vision is for your life it’s kind of hard to write goals that can take you there. Our leader had us get comfortable, lie down, take a couple of deep breaths, and close our eyes. She then led us through a vision exercise where we imagined ourselves leaping out of our body and up into the atmosphere where we had a bird’s eye view of the world.  We imagined a bright beam of light that took us back down to the earth but when we landed it was the year 2022. She guided us through questions on where, who, what we were doing in that time. What did it look like, smell like, taste like? How did we feel in that moment? Happy, relaxed, excited? Then she told us to look at that person and say, “I’m proud of you. What do I need to do right now to be where you are in 2022?”

When we came out of the exercise there was time to share. It was beautiful hearing people’s visions. Nothing seemed impossible… for anyone. The versions of our futures selves ignited something in us all. For some it was excitement, others fear and anxiety.  Because we’re all afraid of failure…we’re human, after all.

What is your vision for you like 10 years from now? If you have a hard time imagining it, ask yourself, what am I afraid of? You don’t need to think of all that could get in the way of your achieving what you want. We’ll work on the obstacles later. Put down on paper exactly what you want for yourself 10 years from now. It can be ANYTHING. Go… write down what you want for your future.

No comments:

Post a Comment