Monday, May 14, 2012

easier said than done...

How am I doing?

On this weight loss journey, I’ve encountered ups and downs. My first post (my realization that I’ve let myself go) was in January. It’s May and I’ve only successfully fought off 10lbs.  I’ve had several moments of failure but with every failure I have a learning that I can put in my back pocket for the next time.
So losing weight is simple, right? Burn more calories than you eat. EASIER SAID THAN DONE! Here are a few essentials that are must haves for successful weight loss that can make loosing weight a bit more tangible:

1.      Eat right
      Choose foods that fuel your body and make you feel good. How many food hangovers have you had? They are awful, right?
       ***Experiment! (warning: involves eating junk food!!)***
       1. Eat something healthy and nutrious- something you'd be proud to say you ate. After you eat, take note of how your body (and mind) feels. You’ll probably experience feelings of happiness, success; maybe feel a bit lighter.
       2. For lack of a better term... eat something shitty. French fries, pizza, a taco bell 10 pack!You may feel anxious, depressed, sluggish… I could go on forever… I’m really familiar with this feeling.
      3. Decide how you want to feel every day

2.      Exercise daily (OK, maybe almost daily)
       You don’t have to train for a marathon but a jog may help. Even just walking 20 minutes a day has its benefits. I like to switch up my workouts weekly, even while training for marathons. Spin class, pilates, boot camps, CrossFit, barre classes, hot YOGA!

3.      YOGA
       It’s in its own category for me. Yoga keeps you flexible, gives you peace of mind, and presents a challenge every practice. It’s called a “yoga practice” not “yoga perfect” so don’t be intimidated if you’ve never tried it.

4.      Don’t take it personal
       Food is not out to get you. Your friends, family, and co-workers want you to succeed in your weight loss goals. If someone brings cupcakes to work they are not trying to sabotage you. If your partner asks if you want to cook in vs. eat out one night they are not saying you’re fat. Stop taking things in life so personally. GET OUT OF YOUR OWN HEAD.

5.      Small bites
       I mean this literally and figuratively. Surprise! You’ve heard it before but slow down your eating by taking smaller bites and chewing slowly. Don’t try to lose too much weight too fast. It won’t stay off. Create “baby steps” in 5lbs increments.

6.     Motivation
      What will it take for you to commit to living a healthy lifestyle, and living a life you love? No one is judging you. Maybe your motivation is to fit into your pre-baby Paige jeans. Maybe you’ll reward yourself with a trip to a tropical beach destination. For some it may be that they want to be around when their kids have kids and those kids have kids. #toowordy?

I’m not a doctor or nutritionist but I am a hell of a motivator. If you’re struggling keep your head held high and don’t keep it to yourself. Talk to someone. I’m available J

Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment